Temporary Laboratory Technician (12 months FTC)
Knauf Insulation is seeking a Temporary Laboratory Technician to join its Process and Development team based at Head Office, St Helens. The principle function of the role will be to support the Batch and Melting Development manager in execution of the laboratory testing responsibilities of the PSD Department.
Main Accountabilities Include:
- The performance of specialised sample preparation and analytical test processes including Viscometry, XRF analysis, Wet Chemistry, Fibre Diameter testing, Mechanical testing, Packaging Testing and Microscopy.
- The co-ordination of the maintenance, calibration and verification of specialised analytical equipment for the above, including liaison with suppliers and contract maintenance agents, and the upkeep of accurate maintenance and calibration records.
- The accurate recording, reporting and communication of test data generated in the test programmes using agreed laboratory practice and format.
- To populate and issue weekly reports for glass and batch raw material chemistry. This will include the use of SPC charts.
- To manage the raw material library on SharePoint containing technical data sheets, safety data sheets, plant local specifications and trial reports for the qualification of new raw materials.
- The attendance and/or provision of support to manufacturing trials and test programmes at
- other sites and facilities as required.
- The development and verification of new sample preparation and test methods used for the process development and the characterisation of insulation and related products
- Assistance with the maintenance and housekeeping of laboratory work areas to the required workplace standards.
- Contribution to the on-going development and maintenance of laboratory management systems and documentation.
- To work safely, in a proactive and flexible way and with minimum supervision in all activities
- The candidate will hold a University level qualification in a Physical Science or Engineering Discipline (Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science, Chemical Engineering Building Science etc.)
- Candidates who have relevant college level qualifications (i.e. AS and A level, BTEC, City & Guilds, HNC, HND) and/or can demonstrate previous appropriate experience in the Insulation, Building or related industries may also be considered.
- The candidate will be numerate and able to demonstrate solid scientific and technical credentials and experience, be open to technical innovation and creativity and to working in a diverse team.
- The candidate will be able to demonstrate a good working knowledge of Microsoft Office: Outlook, Excel, Word and Power Point and generally exhibit good data manipulation and data reporting skills. Ability to use Statistical tools (such as Minitab) or have previous training in Process Excellence techniques is preferred but not essential.
- Previous laboratory experience is preferred but not essential.
- Existing experience with any of the specialised testing techniques described in the above would be a significant advantage.
- The person will be flexible with a positive attitude, and will be as at home working in a “clean” analytical scientific laboratory, as within a factory or construction industry location which might require undertaking physically challenging tasks in dirty, dusty and uncomfortable environments.
- It would be beneficial for the candidate to have an understanding of continuous improvement techniques, particularly 5S and workplace standardisation.
- The person will possess the ability to display initiative, be autonomous and work conscientiously and productively under limited levels of supervision and often on his or her own. They will also be able to respond and perform in an environment where rapidly changing priorities and needs are the norm.
- Candidates who can demonstrate good practical tool based skills are preferred but this is not essential.
- Candidates will be English speaking but any other language, especially French, will be an asset.
Candidates interested in applying for this position can request a full Role Profile and Application Form from the Human Resources Department.
To apply for this role please contact Jessica.firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply for this job